Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

The $5 Christmas Tree


This is a $5 Christmas tree.  I kid you not.  My son's girlfriend bought it a a community yard sale....finally. Bless her heart, everytime she started toward a tree someone virtually snatched it up before she could put her hands on it.  We loaded it up in our small car and and sat "around it" to get it home with the intention that it would go in my son's bedroom. Umm, that didn't quite work out.  The tree was alot bigger than the box looked. So, being that I'm far from the minimalist, we stuck it in the only corner it could possibly go so that our sweet Carrie could have her tree and would not be disappointed.  She decorated it for halloween.  Sorry, I don't have a picture of that but it was VERY cute.


Unfortunately Carrie is away for school for a few weeks and since the tree was up, we decided we would have two trees this year.  Yep, call me crazy.  My house is not that big.  But a girl's gotta answer the call to create...and so we did.  Mr. Magnificent and I watched a you tube tutorial on decorating with mesh ribbon.  I've had the stuff for two years and never used it but this year we tackled it and it was a no-brainer really.  I wonder now why I left it packed up last year.




The "goodies" for this tree weren't really expensive.  The stars and snowflakes came from dollar tree and I stamped pre-cut cards and hung them with twine.  One pakage of ornaments from Hobby Lobby 1/2 off in bronze did the trick with some left over. I found the feathers for the topper at a flea market and the white fill-in at the GW for $1.  The picture frames were a last minute brain storm and for me, they really make the tree.  I printed off some family photos in sepia and framed them in frames from the dollar tree in silver and gold. 




 It came together nicely and now I can concentrate on some vingettes...........and the OTHER tree. One down, one to go. Stay tuned.








10 comments:

  1. I found your site from your link up to FPFG. I love your idea of using picture frames on the tree - such a personal touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, Thanks for stopping by! Really getting serious about the blog the last couple of months and I appreciate the feedback! I checked out your site and it's lovely. I'll add you to my sidebar so I don't miss anything :)

      Delete
  2. I love your tree, and if your crazy, I'm crazy too, I have two trees also! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving to you! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and I'm glad I'm not the only one who is "tree greedy!" I don't feel so alone now :) Have a wonderful day tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! I love your blog! I appreciate the comments.

      Delete
  4. That is one cute $5 tree! I like the family pictures framed. I've been seeing that and it sure is CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, thanks for taking a look and the opportunity to link up to your blog. Which BTW is fabulous!

      Delete
  5. Your tree is gorgeous, and how cool it was only $5.00. Love the dollar tree ornaments too. Thanks for joining our party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! I love that y'all are doing a "Dollar Tree" link up. My frames, stars and snowflakes came from the dollar tree for this particular tree. Our traditional tree hasn't gone up yet. We have our "collected over time" ornaments on that one. I soooo appreciate you and Shannon for commenting. Thanks for these opportunities to link up and meet all of you sweet people across the country!

      Delete